Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Albums of 2015 !!!
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #237 (permalink)
Aloysius
Music Addict

Only a few hours left of the year here in Australia, so I'd better get my list done quickly:

10. John Scofield - Past Present
Fusion can be a tricky thing, a tightrope with cheesy on one side and out there to the point of unlistenable on the other. Here John performs the balancing act with great finesse and funkiness.

9. Krystian Zimerman and the Berliner Philharmoniker - Lutoslavski: Piano Concerto & Symphony No. 2
Lutoslawski manages to push the limits of tonality almost to breaking point, while still sounding great. A fantastic recording of some of this composer’s best works.

8. Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat
After all this time ND have managed to put out one of their best albums, fresh sounding, great metal sound and great punk attitude.

7. Juan Requena - Arroyo de Miel
While this year hasn't seen a flamenco guitar album on par with last year's incredible ‘pa mi gente’ (Manuel Parrilla) this is still a fantastic debut from Juan Requena, a guitarist from Malaga mostly known for his work with various dance companies based in Seville.

6. Rinaldo Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano - Monteverdi: Vespri solenni per la festa de San Marco
This recording of Monterverdi’s masterpiece is just sublime and perfect breakfast music.

5. James Muller - Neurotica
Amazing hard bop guitarist. Search it on bandcamp to check out the samples - one of the best jazz guitarists alive today.

4. Anoushka Shankar - Home
Here Anoushka returns to her roots with an album of traditional Hindustani music. The quality of this recording really strands out - the sitar must be really difficult to record with its searing upper partials, but here the sound is reproduced beautifully.

3. Natural Information Society & Bitchin Bajas
- Automaginary
Jazz + drone done right. A really original work - unless there’s more stuff like this I just haven’t heard yet.

2. Ezequiel Benitez - Quimeras del Tiempo
Traditional flamenco singing from Jerez, accompanied by many of the best guitarists of the Jerez school, such as Paco Cepero, Diego del Morao, Manuel Parrilla etc.

1. Enslaved - In Times
One of their best albums, possibly second only to ‘below the lights’. My favourite album for 2015.
Aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote