Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #164 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You're reading it wrong now. I said I didn't know who Steve Morse was, and OP said he wouldn't consider him prog. Since I didn't know who he was, and OP said he wasn't prog, then I thought why bring him up? But now that you've explained who he is, he does of course have a place here, and OP is wrong.

Again.

And my confusing him with the Morse brothers in Spock's Beard just muddied the waters even more. Yay me!
Well I thought of it more that I was read wrong. I mention Steve Morse and Joe Satriani for one point - about concert numbers - but that put aside for an argue whether or not they belong in a Prog discussion.

It was response to this post below. I was questioning whether or not you can that assess that from a a single example that interest in Prog has dwindled. Maybe Prog has. I don't know if Steve Hackett still tours South America, but I heard he does better in South America. So does the San Fran concert really paint an overall picture?

Steve Morse and Satch were brought up to say that that sounds normal that Steve Hackett got that response, because they played the same size venue. Now add another guitars or add a few more acts and bill it as G3 then it would had larger concert numbers. I thought it would go without saying, maybe I should had mentioned it. And if hypothetically if Steve Hackett played with Genesis it would had sold out SF Levi's Stadium with tickets costing up to five or six times that amount. Still if that hypothetical reunion happened that would not be proof that Prog is alive and thriving. It would speak more of Genesis' popularity. I like Steve Hackett, but fans are not there only to relive Genesis' Proggy moments but his other works like Horizon or Black Light etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
Thriving?

Steve Hackett didn't even sell out a 500 seat venue in San Francisco last year…and tickets were only like $40.

Your kidding right?

Collect all the best prog bands in the world, put them in one theater for a weekend, and maybe sell out once a year. OK…. that's cool but hardly thriving.

I wish it wasn't true believe me.

On the other hand, someone shouts DJ! and you have 10,000 kids clambering to get into an electronic festival. Something has gone terrible wrong.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote