Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #529 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Except that there are people who get the same vibe off of the scene from nearly every album they hear in the scene. You'd go ballistic if I said every black metal album sounds the same. Just by the sound, I can tell the difference between post-punk, and gothic rock, and ethereal wave, and darkwave. I don't even need to know what kind of post-punk the band speciallizes in. Also, if post-punk doesn't have a sound, why are ethereal wave, darkwave, and gothic rock alternative versions of post-punk that take elements from the sound?
Those are offshoots of sounds that evolved from a movement of unconnected bands. Black metal in the modern (Norwegian) sense came from a small, tightly-knit group of bands who were very much influenced by each other, and who had very similar opinions as to what was acceptable to listen to (Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, etc) and what was not (death metal, thrash, and any other metal which they saw as no longer relevant).

There are also very restrictive rules as to what a band must sound like to be considered "true" black metal. The original bands may have veered off into different musical directions, but in the beginning there was most definitely a core sound which they all shared that was distinct.

Though many post-punk bands came from the London punk scene, they were not the collective that the Norwegian black metal scene was, and actively avoided developing any shared sound that you could point to from ten miles away and call post-punk. Unless you're you, I guess.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote