Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #530 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

But they ended up sounding similar in this new subgenre of punk, and many subgenres of punk or at least styles that drew from punk were becoming popular. Post-punk's experimentation is what makes it post-punk, since they still all share a similar sound that all comes from the same source material. The originals might have all been different, but they mostly share the same emotional context and sleeker, more ambiance heavy production qualities. Post-punk is very experimental, yes. But without knowing it, many of the originals had some similar ideas on the aspects of the experimentation. In fact, the originals influenced many of the future post-punk bands. And early on, many of the same ideas were used in gothic rock, darkwave, and ethereal wave, all being substyles of each other. I mean, punk has a lot of restrictions, so how many restrictions can one break before the punk sound is mostly gone? Well, post-punk featured a lot of emotional and production heavy content, which is where gothic rock formed, like The Cure and Cocteau Twins, the latter of which implemented gothic rock with dream pop to create something different. What set some of these bands apart was that they put the post-punk sound with other genres later in their careers.

And what a band goes for isn't necessarily what's going to succeed. The truth is they were all influenced by one source: punk. They were trying to capitalize off of punk's newfound fame. And since punk was heavily restricted, they can't experiment too far with it. Not until it became known, anyway. A lot of bands, not just post-punk bands, were trying to change things. I doubt 8 different bands got together and said "Let's make death metal." These bands didn't know much about the other new bands, so they had to try and make something new. These bands ended up in art punk, hardcore, and post-punk, and many other kinds of punk.

Since they are so different, trying to say "post-punk" isn't a genre" isn't fair. It's like you said: unconnected bands were trying something different, and that may be how a genre starts. Not every time, but sometimes. So many bands were trying to make something different so quickly to capitalize off of punk, so that's why we have so many kinds of punk it's not even funny.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 01-30-2016 at 12:13 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote