Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #11011 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What is the difference between overhyped and overrated? To me, DSOTM probably is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album, but I don't know if any album can live up to the kind of hype that surrounds that album.
I'm not compelled to listen to Dark Side of the Moon like I am with other albums, maybe because I heard those songs so often. I played Selling England by the Pound, Close to the Edge and Trilogy a lot more than I ever played DSotM. And even though I never in the mood to listen to DSotM I am not going to say it's over-rated because its the one album that enters the public conscience. I know there are a **** ton of DSotM T shirts and it always appears on album lists, but that kind of notoriety doesn't bother me.

It's still a decent album, a bit slow pace but consistent. There is substance to the lyrics. I would never recommend it as the greatest album of all time - it will knock your socks off. I would say if you want an album to chill to then maybe listen to DSotM.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote