Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop Album Survivor: Psychedelic Pop (Judgement time!)
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #102 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Here's the picks!

Psychedelic Pop

1. Love - Forever Changes
2. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
3. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
4. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
5. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
6. The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
7. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
8. of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer
9. Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
10. The Monkees - Headquarters

I first found the mean score for each pick, and ranked them according to who had the least to greatest mean. The ends of the list were pretty set in stone. With 1,2,3,9 and 10 never in danger of losing their spots. However, the middle of the list went through a lot of turmoil. I will say that Frownland's votes severely upheaved some of the action in the middle, leading to some changes that I would not have expected. After all of that, the Beach Boys and Animal Collective were actually tied for fourth place, so I had to look at the median and mode as well.

The Beach Boys' median score was 5.5, and their modes were 4 and 7.
Animal Collective's median score was 6, and their mode was 6 as well.

Therefore, The Beach Boys took the #4 spot, and Animal Collective were pushed down to #5. Some of the middle section definitely did not turn out how I would have expected, and in some cases, I don't think the middle of the chart represents the album's fortitude as well as it could. That said, I've come up with a secondary reflective chart. This one is based off of the RYM ratings.

1. The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle
2. Love - Forever Changes
3. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
4. The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
5. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
6. Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
7. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
8. of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer
9. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
10. The Monkees - Headquarters

This is not the official list, the official list is above.
For an explanation of what this is, please read the above paragraph.

Obviously, this list is very different from what we have. I think there are several factors that could account for these changes. I'll let others discuss this, however. I'd also like to know if you guys want me to continue to make an analysis, or to just post the list and be done with it.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote