Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you become popular if you're not from USA?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
arnas
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The fact that you just said "slangs" twice is an illustration of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Technically the word "slang" can be pluralized, but no native English speaker would have used it like that. It's a good example of the difference between simply speaking a language well and instinctively understanding the nuances the way a native speaker would.

I don't mean any of this in a negative way, I'm just saying be who you are. The world of hip hop is full of people rapping in English. You have the ability to bring something different to the table and I personally would way rather listen to that than listen to someone trying to sound like yet another American rapper.

I've never heard of Dope D.O.D. but I just looked them up and they don't even have an English language Wikipedia page. That should tell you something about their level of popularity in the English speaking world.
Quote from their website:

Quote:
After the release of their debut video What Happened (almost 19 million views on YouTube) their international career took off. Leading to sold out shows and performances at the biggest Festivals in Europe where they’ve shared stages with Cypress Hill, Method Man, Redman, Snoop Dogg, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Die Antwoord, A$AP ROCKY, Onyx, Skrillex and Danny Brown.
The group also played the infamous SXSW festival in the United States and scored a deal for their first album (Branded) with Duck Down Records. So far the group has won an EBBA award and released 3 albums (Branded, Da Roach, Master Xploder) and 2 EP’s (The Evil EP, The Ugly EP).
So I suppose they're pretty big.

And talking about which language I should rap in... I don't enjoy my native language as much as I enjoy english. And I never tried to "learn" english. It just came to me naturally. I never studied it in school or anywhere else. Watching movies in english, reading forums, news in english, playing games in english was the way of learning this language. I'd enjoy rapping in english much more than I'd enjoy doing it in my native language.

Besides that, there're only 3 million people in my country, so the market is really small here. And I'm pretty sure only a few people would listen to a rap song that they don't understand.
arnas is offline   Reply With Quote