Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you become popular if you're not from USA?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
arnas
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I have no idea whether they're big in general or not, I'm just saying they aren't big in the English speaking world. Playing SXSW doesn't mean much. A lot of not very well known artists play SXSW in addition to the well known artists.

Hey, if you want to rap in English then rap in English. I'm just saying that the odds of striking it rich as an ESL rapper affecting American slang are very low so you'd be better off focusing on doing what you love rather than worrying about targeting the right market. Personally, I like to have some linguistic variety in my rap (and music general) so it's always a bit of a bummer when I see someone who feels obligated to use English lyrics just because popular artists in their genre use English lyrics.
Well, that all comes down to my question: how do you become popular if you're not from USA? They are so good in english that I couldn't tell they are from Netherlands. So I suppose it doesn't really change much if you know english well?
arnas is offline   Reply With Quote