Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you like to see in a music video?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
bob_32_116
Music Addict

Three pages of responses, and as far as I can tell there are about three posts so far that actually make a serious attempt to answer the OP.

I'll give my response, though considering what I see already in the thread, which I suspect is a pretty typical reflection of what most viewers of music videos would say, I don't like my chances:

- If I watch a music video, it's to hear the music. In 99% of cases I find the accompanying visuals cheesy, silly, or just pointless. When I try to think of videos I have actually enjoyed watching for their own sake, they have been ones where the visuals suit the mood of the music. They do not necessarily have to feature shots of the artist. they can just be landscapes, if that's the kind of music it is.

- If the song tells a story, I don't need to see that acted out on the screen. It's OK if there are little vignettes that are related to things in the song lyrics.

- In other words, the video should enhance the song, not substitute for it.

It should be pretty clear by now that I am rather cynical of the whole "music video" thing. If I have to watch the video to appreciate the song, then in my opinion the songwriter has failed.

Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-06-2016 at 11:44 AM.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote