Music Banter - View Single Post - The Christianity Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #803 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Thanks! So are these cycles just something that evolved over the centuries or was there some specific time they were set in motion?
Yes, it was something that evolved. It began with the patriarchs, mentioned in Psalms, then again in Acts. Clement of Alexandria, Origen, and Tertullian, who were early church fathers, wrote of them. Benedict of Nursia help further develop them and make them a part of monastic life. Various popes made revisions. Vatican II simplified them needs of today's apostolate and make them more accessible to the laity.

Quote:
Abraham got up early in the morning and went to a place where he stood before the Lord. This was called Shaharit (morning prayer). Isaac, a second founding patriarch, went to meditate in the field at eventide, and this was called Minhah (afternoon prayer). Jacob, a third founding patriarch, would pray the Ma’Ariv (evening prayer). All together, this triad fulfills the promise of Psalm 55:17: “Evening and morning and at noon will I pray and cry aloud, and he shall hear my voice.” This fixed-prayer ritual also paralleled that of the one prayed morning, evening and at night
in the Temple of Jerusalem until it was
destroyed in 70 A.D.
Exploring the origins of the Liturgy of the Hours pdf

Quote:
The early Christians continued the Jewish practice of reciting prayers at certain hours of the day or night. In the Psalms are found expressions like "in the morning I offer you my prayer"; "At midnight I will rise and thank you" ; "Evening, morning and at noon I will cry and lament"; "Seven times a day I praise you". The Apostles observed the Jewish custom of praying at the third, sixth and ninth hour and at midnight (Acts 10:3, 9; 16:25; etc.).

The Christian prayer of that time consisted of almost the same elements as the Jewish: recital or chanting of psalms, reading of the Old Testament, to which were soon added readings of the Gospels, Acts, and epistles, and canticles.[8] Other elements were added later in the course of the centuries.
Liturgy of the Hours Origins

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote