Music Banter - View Single Post - donald trump 4 prez
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #1946 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
McCain and Sanders worked on Veteran's bill together.

The Republicans make it hard though. Boehner (not a candidate) was more moderate than most and it seemed to be his willingness to compromise with Democrats that caused him to have to step down as speaker.
I can respect McCain's earlier work, but by the time he was running for president he had become more hardline, and I don't think it was entirely to pander to the republican base, such as his seemingly casual approach to military intervention.

No, Johnny boy, we are not all Georgians now. We are Americans, and I have no desire to get within spitting distance of a war with Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Nothing. He's pretty much retired from political life except as a talking head because of his 2012 run.
What I figured. Running for president is generally the end of one's political career, whether you win or lose.

Quote:
Remembering Romney's stand on the issues I don't think he would have been good at all. Not to mention we would have had a republican president along with a republican led house and senate.

Romney:
- Pushed to maintain Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.
- Would have repealed the affordable care act.
- Was opposed to same sex marriage.
- Would ban all abortions except for rape and incest.
- Wanted to repeal the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Opposed the DREAM act.
- Was against ending combat actions in Iraq.
That was election talk. He was definitely way more moderate than he came across during his run for president, so you can't really use his talking points from back then as proof of what he would have done in office.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.