Music Banter - View Single Post - Brexit? Yay or Nay.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #269 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
Eh... I don't know about that. Trump has focused on it because, face it, yelling about immigration and terrorism and such-like is exciting and news worthy, but that doesn't mean that it even comes close to encapsulating all of the policies that it takes to build an administration.

Nationaism vs. Anti-Nationalism doesn't account for universal healthcare or gay marriage. It doesn't handle police brutality or taxation. Nor does it encapsulate gun control or free speech.

Now, left vs right can't conceptualize these thing all that well either on its own -- I doubt anything could --, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful paradime. Plus, it mostly seems like the people who argue against it do so because the comparaison isn't particularly flattering of their position.

Disclaimer: By left vs. right, I don't mean American two party politics, which is bad and should feel bad.
I disagree Trump is popular because he's playing the nationalist card, if he came in with the same policies as Jeb Bush and Rubio I doubt he would be hear today.

The UK referendum and populist parties growing throughout Europe and North America are a backlash against immigration, free trade, foreign intervention in the Middle East and elsewhere. Issues that populists like Boris, Farage, Trump, Wilders, Le Pen, and other nationalist leaders all champion.

Nationalism transcends left right issues because both the left and the right can be nationalist or multi nationalist (Sanders vs Clinton) (Trump vs Bush)
(Boris vs Cameron) and one could argue (Corbyn vs Blair)

Nationalists have a tendency to shift left on economic issues, note that Trump has said he won't touch medicaid or social security, something the Koch brothers would like to privatize, who are definitely multi nationalist.

On social issues I take your point, but gay marriage and gun control is superficial to the average american when they've lost their $24 dollar an hour job at the plant, and find themselves working for $12 dollars at the Home Depot.

This is the defining issue of our time. The UK didn't separate because they didn't like it's policies on health care and gay marriage, they separated over the issues of self government, immigration and free trade.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote