Music Banter - View Single Post - Whadaya think of Bob Dylan's voice?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, I agree. Futhermore, back in the sixties too many folkies were going in this direction, with technically pleasant voices:-

To me Dylan's was the anguished voice of the individual, cutting through a lot of sugared-up junk. I was eleven years old when I first heard this song coming out of a neighbour's radio set; so startling that I still remember the moment:-

Dylan actually has an under-ratedly good voice imo, though I don't like the poor guy's croaking in recent years.
I always considered The Rooftop Singers and Kingston Trio as the cool side of the American Folk Revival. Peter, Paul and Mary as the Pop side. They (PP&M) played Nylon string guitars for Pete's sake. There is no nylon in Folk. You won't find a nylon guitar playing in Country Blues or Olde Timey or traditional Appalachian Folk music. I was undecided about Bob, and bit suspicious if he was just jumping on the bandwagon with Folk. I seen a doc about him and I guess he was legit. He came across as a music lover.

Walk Right In is amazing, you have to hear it in full to get the 12 string work, in some small way it changed the face of music. (Erik Darling from The Rooftop Singers is one of my music heroes.)

The Rooftop Singers "Walk Right In"

Kingston Trio-Scotch & Soda

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote