Music Banter - View Single Post - Most influential 80s alternative rock band?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
RJDG14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Two 80's bands really stand out in my mind as influences for many others to come throughout the 80's, 90's and beyond. I remember when both of their debut albums came out in 1980, hearing cuts from each played on a local college radio station, (the only radio stations willing to play newer "underground/alternative" music at that time), being blown away by what I heard and going out and buying both albums as a result (still have them.) The music of both bands stood apart from everything else I can recall at that time and both were significant influences on so many bands to follow.

Wipers - Is This Real? (1980)

The Wipers debut album was released in January of 1980.

And...

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (1980)

Killing Joke's debut album was released in September of 1980.
Wipers come across to me as a major influence on the Meat Puppets.

Although the Killing Joke vocalist has a very typical singing voice for British bands of the late 1970s/early 1980s (post punk cockney vocals went out of fashion) the guitar playing sounds influential on later bands. I'm guessing that if it was released January 1980, it was recorded sometime in '79. I hear hints in "Requiem" of "She's So High" by Blur and "Ruby" by the Kaiser Chiefs.

Not sure if this counts, since the song I'm thinking of was released in 1990, but Husker Du front man Bob Mould recorded "Stop Your Crying", and the opening reminds me of the chorus in Ruby (the same song that I mentioned earlier).

Interpol also sound a lot like bands such as Joy Division and Wire. Since I wasn't alive in 1980, I'd not got round to hearing any if their stuff until recently, but I'd heard an Interpol album about 10 years ago without knowing it was them, and when I looked up Wire and Joy Division more recently, I thought I'd heard them before. In fact K was actually thinking of Interpol.

Last edited by RJDG14; 07-19-2016 at 07:45 PM.
RJDG14 is offline   Reply With Quote