Music Banter - View Single Post - Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #286 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
While music itself is up for interpretation whether it is good or not, guitar playing isn't always up for interpretation.
Yes it is. I'm not just talking about aesthetics above. Evaluative statements a la good, bad, better, worse, etc. PERIOD are noncognitive. They have no truth values. Or we could say that they're subjective--they're not extramental facts.
Quote:
There is a specific standard to be held to when playing guitar,
Insofar as that's the case, it's subjective. It's an agreement (among the people who agree and can exert some social influence about this) about how people FEEL about guitar playing (or whatever we might be talking about if we make it broader). It's an agreement about what people prefer or not. That's subjective. Nothing is factually correct or incorrect, true or false, just because people agree on it. To claim otherwise is to commit the argumentum ad populum fallacy.
Quote:
and again, I say this fully knowing that Jimmy Page is a good guitar player, never said he wasnt, I only said that it's a shame that he's not up to par with what could be considered one of the greats,
So you are an objectivist to an extent. But objectivism is factually incorrect on this stuff, because it's an extramental fact of the world that there are no extramental facts regarding whether anything is good, bad, better, worse, etc.
Quote:
but to put him in the top 10 is showing your ignorance toward guitar players that can actually play both technically and melodically.
Rather, your view about this is showing your complete imbecility when it comes to the ontology of this stuff.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote