Music Banter - View Single Post - Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #293 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Jane, you ignorant slut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
The bad rap that Page gets is based off of mostly shows during the 75 and 77 tours where he was getting too wasted and as a result, sloppy.

His playing on the albums is both technical and brilliant for that genre. Have you ever sat down and tried to learn solos like Achilles Last Stand, Since I've been Loving You, Black Dog, and yes, even Stairway to Heaven? His note choices, the subtle little ways he accents his bends, his vibrato, and how the melody perfectly fits the song is much harder to replicate that you think.

Back then I could play Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nugent, UFO, ZZ Top, etc. well before I was able to accurately pull off Page.
And the thing is, if you can't pull off a great act playing live, how am I supposed to believe that you can play when it's not on a studio album? I get your point here, but a guitar player should be able to play live and in studio.

I don't focus to heavily on Led Zeppelin because I find them boring and somewhat lame, but again, I never said the band or Page were bad. My whole point here is that he shouldn't automatically be considered one of the greats just because he was part of an iconic band. If we're really focusing on how a guitar player can play, Jimmy Page really isn't up there.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote