Music Banter - View Single Post - Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #299 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
We may end up needing to agree to disagree to stay away from further name calling,
That's entirely up to you. This is a pet topic of mine, so I'll continue with it as long as you'd like to. I've been doing work on this topic (including from an academic perspective) and writing and talking and debating etc. about it for about 40 years now. I don't mind however many posts you'd be interested in so that I can try to get you to think about it a bit more in depth.
Quote:
if the bold were true, guitar lessons would be completely irrelevant.
Because you think that people have no preferences or desires to play particular ways rather than other ways? I'm not saying that people do not have preferences, am I? What, do you think that people only prefer to play particular ways because there's an objective fact that playing that way is better? The idea of that is completely absurd.
Quote:
And again, I want to focus on the fact that I have admitted a few times that Jimmy Page is not a mediocre guitar player,
There are no facts that he's good or bad or that he doesn't completely suck or that he's not the best, miles beyond anyone else. We're not dealing with facts when we talk about this stuff. We're dealing with our tastes, our preferences. What we individually like or do not like.
Quote:
but he's certainly not skilled in the art to be considered one of the best.
That's fine as a statement of how you personally feel. Just don't believe that it's anything like a fact, or correct.
Quote:
He's sloppy a lot of the time,
"Playing in way x, where I call that 'sloppy,' is not as good as playing in way y, where I call that 'not sloppy,' but rather quite precise, etc."<------That's not a fact. It would be a way that you feel. It would be a statement about what you prefer.
Quote:
and the only thing he's particularly amazing at is creating a rhythm that the rest of the band can feed off of.
Again, that's fine as the way you feel, but it's nothing like a fact.
Quote:
But the ability to play guitar isn't always subjective
What's good and bad, better and best, is ALWAYS subjective. Not just when we're talking about how someone plays a guitar. Not just when we're talking about music. Not just when we're talking about ethics. Not just when we're talking about someone's health. When we're talking about ANYTHING.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote