Music Banter - View Single Post - hillary clinton 4 prez
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #540 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
This is possibly my all time favorite point that anybody has brought up recently.
I highlight so its easier to read not to be a dick

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but it true up to a point. In terms of economic policy a Trump Presidency would in many respects be more aligned with the policies of Nixon and Eisenhower than Reagan and Bush on economic policy, so a swing away from neo liberalism.

Trump is relying on white working class voters to propel him to the White House so if he touches social security or medicaid he's a dead man and won't live out a second term.

His chances of winning a second term decrease in 4 years, particularly in the key swing state of Florida where the aging white population is dropping off and the Hispanic population is rapidly growing. This is also true in Virginia. He would have to compensate by making major inroads with Black American populations in blue states...which I don't think he can do.

Where I greatly distrust Trump is on tax policy, which is basically Reagan's voodoo economics (I believe Trump even has a Reagan policy advisor on his team?) The steep tax cuts and elimination of red tape, would most likely result in a growth explosion in the economy, but would put the US into a major debt to gdp ratio hole, which would leave the door open to privatizing social security. Which is the main reason I haven't been supporting him.

The second worriesome policy is his previous call to deport the illegal immigrants/undocumented workers. I don't think he would attempt this but if he did, it could cause a major retraction in the US economy. It's not the illegal immigrants but rather legal immigrants that compete for the same jobs as low skilled blue collar workers. Though I am of the general opinion, that if one crosses a border illegally...your effectively breaking the law, but if you know your not going to be accepted legally, and your from a $hithole like Guatemala "What have you got to lose"

Nonetheless, he would push the Republican Party to the left in leave the Kock brothers in the Barry Goldwater wilderness.