Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #825 (permalink)
djchameleon
A.B.N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover73 View Post
How do the military discipline their people?

When your kids are little and don't know how to speak and starts reaching for a hot stove. Do you say its okay or do you spank the kid and teach the kid that it could have been your life!!!
I guess all these anti-physical discipline people will just let their kids touch the hot stove so that they don't "abuse" them.

Also the problem with all of these spanking studies is that they lump too much together when determining the link to childhood problems based off of spanking. Whem some people use spanking they are also abusimg their kids in other forms such as verbal and mentally.

"In the meta-analysis, researchers Elizabeth Gershoff and Andrew Grogan-Kaylor from the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Michigan, respectively, evaluated 75 published studies on the relationship between spanking by parents and various behavioral, emotional, cognitive and physical outcomes among their kids. They found that spanking was associated with 13 out of a total of 17 negative outcomes they assessed, including increased aggression and behavioral and mental health problems as well as reduced cognitive ability and self-esteem.
The meta-analysis was not simply an attempt to synthesize studies—Gershoff and Grogan-Kaylor also wanted to address two concerns often raised about the body of research linking spanking to childhood problems. The first is that much of it has evaluated the effects of physical punishment in general, without homing in on the effects of spanking specifically—and because physical punishment can include tactics such as hitting with objects, pinching and biting, this “lumping problem” may ultimately exaggerate spanking’s risks. The second concern is that many published studies are “cross-sectional,” which means that they evaluate the effects of spanking by collecting data at a single point in time, making determinations of cause and effect difficult. A cross-sectional study might, for instance, find that aggressive 10-year-olds were more likely than docile 10-year-olds to have been spanked as toddlers, but that does not mean that spanking made them aggressive. They may have been spanked because they were acting out back then, too."

Quote:
First, although the new analysis did attempt to separate the effects of spanking from those of physical tactics that are considered harsher, research has shown that many parents who spank also use other forms of punishment—so “you’re still not really isolating spanking from overall abusiveness,” explains Christopher Ferguson, a psychologist at Stetson University in Florida. In other words, the negative effects associated with spanking could still be driven in part by parents’ use of other tactics.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bout-spanking/

Edit: needed to get the right quotes, I've had this article on my phone for days now and needed to just link it so I could find the proper ones on my laptop.
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.

Last edited by djchameleon; 11-07-2016 at 11:34 PM.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote