Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #639 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Lisnaholic, ... just stumbled across Ali Farka Touré. The first song, Lalayche, reminds me a little bit of Shake Your Hips (Rolling Stones, Exile On Main St.), if you like that kinda stuff you probably like his music.

Ali Farka Touré : Live @ the Watermans Arts Center 1988 (Part 2)
^ Thanks, Neapolitan! Yes, I like Ali Farka Touré a lot, especially his songs with long guitar solos. He has a great collaboration album with Ry Cooder called Talking Timbuktu - and if you like desert blues yourself, you might like this album:- http://www.musicbanter.com/country-f...no-agadez.html

Ali Farka Touré's son is also a good musician in his own right, highly regarded on the world music scene, as demonstrated by the Tel Aviv Session album. This is also a collaboration album, with pianist Idan Raichel among others:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Chirgilchin's Igor Koshkendey paying obvious tribute to Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun's Oidupaa style and accompanying himself on an bayan (a russian accordeon).
Sublimely beautiful stuff.

^ Great track, grindy! I love the off-the-register singing that comes in at 3:20 !
__________________________________________________ _____________

I usually avoid the New Age fringes of world music, but I'm prepared to make an exception for Red Buddha and their album China Exotic. (I came across it a while ago when I looking for some Stomu Yamashta material, but, in case you are wondering, there is actually no connection between "Red Buddha" and SY's "Red Buddha Theatre".)