Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #34196 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
I'll keep that in mind, though I wouldn't go as far as saying I'll never use them. It's the internet. If you want to control what people say, you'll have to buy the internet.
Nobody's controlling you - I'm loudly judging you in a social context, I don't want to make a speech law or sick Jezabell and Tumblr on you with pitchforks. I could care less whether you choose to continue to use the word or not. You're not an uncle or a good friend; there's no loss here for me. I think and operate independent of SJW movements (which I loathe and whom I believe would not be offering you 1/10th the reasoned discourse I am).

I do really think that the majority of people that use the word '***got' as an insult are operating on a social structure that's based in masculine insecurity, i.e., toxic masculinity. And I know in some subcultures it would be difficult and uncomfortable (or at least take some clever social skills) to not be like that.

I was raised a commercial fisherman out of small fishing town in Alaska, which is very much that kind of culture. I'm now a PhD student studying theoretical neuroscience abroad in liberal Ontario, Canada. It was a long transition period for me, and maybe being an actual adult with two daughters had a lot to do with it, but I can see the legitimate struggles underlying SJW movements. I just don't care for the methods, or really believe in methods at all; sociological state of a culture is emergent and the law of unintended consequences will make Trump president if you try too hard to push people in one direction.

That big wall of text was because your comment has that underlying tone about this being a 'free speech vs. civil rights' matter. Which is a tired dichotomy *yawn*. I'm going to go make Boxing Day dinner now.