Music Banter - View Single Post - Planktons - What The Hell Am I Listening To?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Maybe it's a matter of getting use to them, but some of those songs didn't gel right. Of course they give a nod to the past, but they are new songs, that contain new elements, which leads to cognitive dissonance imho. You know, while listening to them I first thought "oh they have that retro sound," but then I was thinking "wait a minute, they didn't do that back then." I thought that hipster with the beer belly & beard, and his band sounds as much as a sped up version of Camera Obscura as they do as some throwback band. Sorry Plank, I hope I didn't sound too harsh there, that's just my impression. You should really comment on that stuff.

So I went through most and I guess Wagon Wheel is my favorite, nothing seems out of place in the song music-wise. I hope you don't mind me commenting on gear ... again. (It's something I can't control.) Darius Rucker is strumming a Gibson L10 in the video. The inlays are the distinguish feature. They are split hexagons, which are sorta rare and unusual for inlays.

I heard North Side Gal by J.D. McPherson before and the first time I heard it I was under the impression it was a cover song. The shuffle on the snare tricked me into thinking it was by Ray Charles or Fats Domino or some New Orleans artist. Compare the intro of the song to Twenty Flight Rock by Eddie Cochran. Did you catch the Hammond rotary speaker cabinet making a cameo in the video?

So, were you a fan of Hootie and the Blowfish prior to Darius' solo career?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote