Music Banter - View Single Post - First Punk Band?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
What exactly makes Communication Breakdown punk?
Ask Johnny Ramone.

https://dontforgetthesongs365.wordpr...ck-revolution/

Quote:
Yes, you read right, Led Zeppelin created punk rock; Just ask Johnny Ramone who credits Page’s down stroke style “Communication Breakdown” as being the foundation for the sound of the Ramones. Mickey Leigh of The Rattlers was the one who not only introduced Johnny to Led Zeppelin as he explained in his book, I Slept with Joey Ramone: A Family Memoir, when he recalled this famous exchange with the future guitarist of The Ramones when he wrote, “One day, I started playing Led Zeppelin’s “Communication Breakdown,” and John was really impressed.
“Wow, you know about down strokes, huh?” John said.
“Whaddaya mean, down strokes?” I answered.
“Ya known, how you’re picking everything downward” John said, motioning.
“I’m just trying to play how it sounds.” I explained.
“Yeah, well that’s really important,” John told me. “Most people don’t realize that. That’s how rock & roll should be played. All of it! Everything should be a down stroke.”
And Plant's voice was perfect for Zep. When you have a rhythm section of Bonzo and JPJ slamming everything home in sledgehammer fashion, you need the high end to counter and compliment it.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 01-20-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote