Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #1451 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
Communists (not anarchists) and others were destroying things before, during and after the inauguration, and I was glad to see that the Women's Marches didn't result in the same violence. I wasn't expecting them to either. And whilst I have my own differences in opinion with those who attended the Women's March, I find it hard to complain about the events as a whole.

I'm fine with a border wall, though I don't really see how much difference it would make. If people wanna illegally enter the country, they will probably continue to do so in another way.

I disagree with a Muslim ban, although it doesn't look like it was a serious policy. Obviously you can't ban Muslims from entering the country because people can lie. But I don't see any harm in regulating immigration from the more radical Islamic countries.
Hmm, well the black clothing and black flags they were carrying are more associated with anarchist groups than communists (which tend to embrace red). Regardless, it was a tiny minority of people in the city. 230 or so arrested, one can guess about 5 times that number involved in illegal, destructive behavior, out of 500,000-1,000,000 people in the city in support or opposition to the new president. source 1 source 2

You've hit the nail on the head. A border wall is a essentially a symbolic gesture. Much like the 'America First' language used by the president, directly channeling fascist rhetoric used in here in the 20's and 30's, it sets a negative tone about our view of our own country, our distrust of others, and a desire for insularity (which runs counter to both conservatism and capitalism - two, former, pillars of the GOP). Instead of addressing actual immigration issues (which I don't have the space or inclination to get into right now), Trump has proposed an expensive, symbolic edifice that plays to the core prejudices of many of his supporters. This is candidate Trump. It shouldn't be President Trump, but we haven't seen much difference yet.

Glad to hear you're not supportive of religious tests to enter the country. I don't think you'll much push-back on the left if you support increased vetting for those traveling from war-torn countries. You certainly won't get any from me.

Common ground - it's a beautiful thing.