Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #1707 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
I don't agree with the wall in principle. Or increasing the military force/fighting unjust wars @Frown.

I'd argue that the wall is different because it is supposed to achieve a goal. We can agree or disagree (probably agree, most likely) with the end result. Funding arts programs seems to go against the spirit of art itself.
Honestly, I can respect how a lot of people don't see a need for the government to fund the arts. I tend to get snarky about it when the same people are all for funding ridiculous programs that will only add to our national debt and force people who are ideologically against these things to pay for it.

I see this as a chicken/egg problem. Artists need some kind of budget to create their art. This may come from investors or a benefactor, but unless you have some kind of portfolio to convince people to invest in you, how will you ever create anything? I think a small amount of money provided by the federal government is a fine way to encourage people not to fear pursuing a career as an artist. It also sends a message to the rest of the world that we are an open society that encourages personal growth and critical thinking. As pointed out above, this is a minuscule amount of funding. Cutting it off does little to help our national debt and only sends the message that you don't want people thinking too hard.