Music Banter - View Single Post - The First-World Problem of Media Hoarding
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
Fascinating! I love the hilariously obscure themes of your impulsively-inspired collections. And I've certainly operated under the "book research" motive many times. I amassed a monstrous research archive for a book I was writing on filesharing culture but the very nature of the subject matter inevitably rendered it unpublishable.

And roger on the lists. Listmaking is my librarian drug of choice and checking off tasks from Google Keep gives me tiny but frequent endorphin rushes of satisfaction. (I've a similar penchant for metadata organization.)

But honestly - if you ever grow tired of losing your data to drive failure, seriously give me a shout. There are simple and easy habits you can practice to reduce the likelihood of data loss to nearly zero. Simply migrating your beloved lists to Google Docs is perhaps the most immediate change you can make yielding the greatest positive impact on your present routine.
You absolutely should write a book, though!

It seems so ridiculous that managing minutiae, of all things, would give endorphin rushes but it does for me as well. Yet another nerd thing, I suppose. (That was always a difficult thing to explain to my mother growing up: "What are you doing on the computer all night?!??!? Are you talking to older boys??" "No, just saving hundreds of photos of 1930s circus performers while I wait for this Death in June album to download on Limewire..")

I do already try to transfer things to Google Docs regularly, though probably not enough.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote