Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anime/Manga thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #510 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiomara View Post
Oh, no I was more referring to the ones (non-dubbed ones too) where the female characters are constantly falling and going "EEUUWAAHHH!!!" and rarely speaking in full coherent sentences, is all. (Though I realize that those aren't necessarily the majority. But I like any of the odd & whimsical/cerebral 80s, 90s and very early 2000s anime series overall based on what I've seen)
Yeah there's none of that in Madoka Magica. It's not a show for tween girls to project themselves onto a protagonist, but very much a cerebral show with the trappings of a magical girl anime. I'm honestly not sure what it succeeds at being, cause it's not a show I would ever recommend to a girl looking for another show like Sailor Moon, since it might not be appropriate for a girl under a certain age and wouldn't give them what they were looking for anyway, but I guess it just succeeds at being itself. It's definitely a unique show.

Quote:
edit: thanks, djchameleon; I'll have a look at the list.
And notice that Madoka Magica is second on that list, only losing out to a Hayao Miyazaki film, and who doesn't come in second to Hayao Miyazaki?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote