Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #18894 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

I watched Moonlight last night. It's not a bad movie but I was disappointed. I had no clue what to expect from the movie, except that there were black people. I learned early on that it's about a gay black dude. So I was expecting to walk away with some kind of profound perspective or emotional impact put onto me. That's where I was disappointed. Because that was the whole movie. Just, "Hey look, there is a gay black dude in the hood!"

I get the point of the movie, though. It's supposed to flip our perceptions of masculinity on it's head and it's main focal point isn't to tell a story, but it's meant to paint the atmosphere and complex emotions this gay black dude in the hood was going through. Which it did very well. That on it's own makes it worth a watch.

But it's just lacking for me. I didn't get any catharsis and there were plenty of plot details that you feel like are going to go somewhere but they don't ever really get fleshed out. Nothing feels resolved from it. Maybe that's what they were going for. So many details and plot devices I was waiting to see get played it but the ended up being almost meaningless details as they chose to purely focus on the angst, confusion, awkwardness, anger and sadness going through the heart of a gay black man in the hood.

So, it's not a bad movie at all, but I feel it is over hyped simply because it's about a gay black guy in the hood. It's not going to change any perceptions, it's not going to be thought provoking. It's a self indulgent film for progressives to pat themselves on their backs and say "I'm so progressive" which is cool. I enjoyed seeing them **** on some stereotypes, I just think it could have been done better. And I'd like to see somebody do it better. If this truly was the best movie of that year, then we must have had a pretty mediocre year. I think I've only seen 5 2016 movies actually. What all came out in 2016? I've seen The Green Room, Trash Fire, Deadpool, Suicide Squad and Moonlight so far.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote