Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #3333 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm always divided on this because the kid in me is like space exploration badass!

But there's not necessarily a point to it, there are much better things in science to invest in

But then maybe this is the only way we get science funding at all and any science funding usually pays off

Conclusion: idk
Considering the potential benefit to future population growth from colonization, and the increase in resources if mining other planets ever becomes economically feasible, I'd say space travel is probably one of the most worthwhile things we can invest money in, even if the benefits aren't felt for generations.

And just from a personal standpoint, putting all your efforts into pragmatic concerns like poverty and whatnot just feels too utilitarian. I'd rather be a little frivolous and allow our race to actually indulge its ****ing imagination.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.