Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #19030 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

As I listen to this Piper at the Gates of Dawn, an album from a band I hate that I thought would be different enough that I might actually like it, I find myself cringing at the vocals pretty much constantly. The solo singing is just so affected and hideously of-the-era of late-60s, self-indulgent psychedelic rock that I don't know how anyone but fans of the genre could take it seriously. And the close harmony vocals are more tolerable, but nearly as corny. That style still sounds passable in 2017 when the Beatles do it, but here it's horribly dated.

Musically this album is... alright. "Astronomy Domine" was pretty awesome and out there, but otherwise Pink Floyd are boring me for different reasons than they usually do. I think. Pretty sure I'm being bored by equally self-indulgent and corny psych rock rather than whatever the hell the band usually does. So yeah, still **** Pink Floyd.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote