Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #4006 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Is "meddlism" a thing in politics? I think it should be acknowledged as such.
Opposition parties are a sign of a healthy democracy, but a downside is that to justify themselves they have to go on opposing stuff, even if the stuff works pretty well. When they get elected, they are honour bound to start meddling with the systems they criticised in opposition.

Mrs. Thatcher was a compulsive meddler: she took apart a nationalised railway system which had worked remarkably well for 50 years. She replaced it with some ill-considered scheme which was obviously going to be less efficient; a privatised system in which the company running the trains was different from the company that owned the tracks, which was different from the company that operated the stations. Predictably, it has proven to be a récipe for disaster and is an example of detrimental meddling.

Luckily, the GOP have tripped over their own shoelaces just as they were about to meddle with Obamacare, which seems to work pretty well. Furthurmore, Obamacare has been delicately put together in the midst of a political minefield, and that it exists at all is quite an achievement. So maybe the best policy is just to leave it alone.

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is a piece of common sense which modern politicians, in their hubris, too often ignore and when they do, it's always the people who have to pick up the tab.