Music Banter - View Single Post - Spanish Music
Thread: Spanish Music
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #133 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
The presenter, with a strong Andalusian accent, introduces Guadalupe Plata as an American band.
^ Aha! I missed that little detail!

Quote:
For instance, in the 80's certain bands made a kind of new hispanization (splendid, by the way) of American classic rock-&-roll and rockabilly....
The thing is that it sounded amazingly natural to the Spanish-speaking audience. And it's not easy at all to achieve that result. It has a lot of merit. Due to words' length, it's very difficult to make a good rock or pop song in Spanish (at least much more difficult than doing it in English). However, if the artist in question is really talented, everything is possible.
^ "Hispanization" is a new word to me and I found your comments about word length and lyrics especially interesting. I might go back and examine some of your parallel texts, where you have the Spanish and English side by side.

Your examples of classic rock were interesting, and presumably show the successful assimilation of a style. But because of your mention of word length, I was expecting posts that showed how actual songs, actual lyrics are translated. I suppose that is a specific and seperate issue. Whatever the case, it seems a good moment to post something from Los Freddy's, who made some interesting covers of Beatle songs:-

From a brief listen, they seem to dance around the original lyrics, sticking to the original meaning when they can, substituting something else when they can't. Well, that's a technique John Lennon himself would approve of I'm sure! At the legendary first meeting of John and Paul, when JL was playing at a school fete, Paul mentions how John was singing songs he only half knew the lyrics of. When he didn't know the words, he just put in lyrics of his own. Not so different from Los Freddy's I suspect.

I think Los Freddy's have done a good job, and it would be interesting to see, line for line, how they did it.