Music Banter - View Single Post - Islam in Europe
Thread: Islam in Europe
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #158 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
right, i totally agree. but at the core of what you're saying there is still the element of religious devotes engaging in extremist behaviors because of their beliefs, whether or not there is someone pulling the strings above them or not.

again, i don't think it is simply an issue of religion, and clearly the idea that we have a "muslim" problem is bigoted and quite frankly incorrect, but i also believe it is important that people acknowledge that there is a subsection of the religion that engage in this behavior.
We're of a similar mind on this topic. I hadn't moved on the Phase II because so many people were still having trouble with Phase I,. separating Islam from terrorism as its necessary conclusion.

Phase II is addressing man's existential unease and susceptibility to paternalistic, hierarchical systems. The only fix I'm aware of is increased education, increased social stability, and increased opportunity. The irreligious make up a over a third of Europe and a quarter of the US - massive gains over the past half-century (wiki source, but internal citation is strong, I spot checked a dozen or so. We have the luxury of institutions that provide generational stability.

I could go on, as I clearly enjoy this topic, but I'll stop the mutual back-patting now

Last edited by riseagainstrocks; 04-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
riseagainstrocks is offline   Reply With Quote