Music Banter - View Single Post - Lights Down Low: Trollheart's Journal of Ballads and Slow Songs
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: “Untouchable, Part 1”
Artiste: Anathema
Nationality: British
Year: 2012
Genre: Rock
Subgenre: Prog rock, post-rock, alt-rock
Source: Album Weather Systems
Written by: Daniel Cavanagh
Chart position(s) (Singles only): n/a
Storyline: Not sure; think it's a basic love song and a song about surviving?
Main instrument: Acoustic guitar
Other version(s) by:
Comments: The first song submitted by a member (may end up being the only one), this is something I haven't heard before. I think I heard Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here, though I couldn't swear to it, but this is the first track I've heard off Weather Systems. There's a really nice kind of rolling, rippling guitar underpinning the melody here, with a gentle laidback vocal. Nearly two minutes into its six-minute-plus run midtempo percussion cuts in and the tempo of the song increases slightly, as it takes on a somewhat different shape. Sharp electric guitar now in the third minute and a more impassioned vocal. Only halfway through the song and so much happening already!

Couldn't really call it a ballad, not even a power ballad, but it certainly fits in with the idea of what I have here. Not every song has to be a piano ballad or a lovesong, and this one is really good. Increases in power as it goes along, the sound really filling out. Great guitar lead out into a sort of orchestral thing with cello or violin, slowing everything down to the original tempo. Lovely. I won't post the video again as it's in the previous post if you want to listen to it, which you should. Thanks for that, Ki!
Rating: