Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #763 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Pasty Cline
Showcase

This is probably going to be the most difficult album I'll have to review. It's really hard to separate all the individual factors that make up this album and give it an objective score. You have Patsy Cline's immense vocal talent (she recorded nearly all of her material in one take), her legendary status due to her untimely death, a genre that I'm not the biggest fan of and an album of songs that I have been exposed to at some point either as these versions or because of ubiquitous cover versions.

The biggest compliment that I'll give to this album that has nothing to do with Pasty Cline is there is a surprising variety in the backing tracks. Not that there isn't some repetition between tracks, but considering the era this album was made in, the actual music doesn't sound completely mailed-in. I also like the little flourishes of the Jordanaires backing vocals.

As for Patsy Cline's vocals themselves, aka the Showcase, she's still an incredibly talent and is one of the more effortless singers ever put to record. Not that there is anything wrong with the power of an opera singer, or a Janis Joplin, but I can imagine Patsy Cline lying in bed after a long night at the honky tonk, and still being album to sing as well as she does on this record. This album would gets a passing grade alone just based on her. But there is enough else here that elevates it a bit more.

I do admit I wouldn't actively seek out Patsy Cline, but that's the worst that I can say about this. But even then, I can't deny what has actually been put to record even if I'm not exactly a fan of what I'm hearing. I'm not around enough to know everyone's tastes all that well, but consider me pleasantly surprised that this was Bat's pick. Kudos for making me actively listen to Patsy Cline and this album.

8/10