Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #768 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Bootsy Collins - Tha Funk Capitol Of The World

I’ve picked up all ten of Bootsy’s solo and PFunk LPs released between 1972 and 1980, and tracking down original pressings of all the Parliament and Funkadelic LPs was my first foray into vinyl collecting, so I was intrigued to see a Bootsy album I’d not yet heard in the roster for this thread. But while I’m highly proficient in “first-wave” OG funk, my exposure to funk and hip-hop post-1988 is sorely limited. If memory serves, It Takes a Nation of Millions… is the most recent hip hop LP in my collection, and Digital Underground’s Sons of the P is the latest album I’ve heard from the genre. (I’ve never actually heard Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, or any of the other rappers of the 90s.) So I was definitely curious to see what I’d think of this more contemporary recording.

“Spreading Hope Like Dope” was a most welcome introduction. I was happy to hear that the PFunk mythos was still alive and well. And the legend continued with the opening lyrics of “Hip Hop and Funk U” getting on board the Mothership. But I was even more pleased to hear Bernie still on keys!

There’s definitely a nostalgic wave throughout the entire album, with frequent instrumental and lyrical nods to the classics of funk. (The instrumentation on “JB Still the Man” achieves this brilliantly!) And that’s in no way a bad thing - celebrating the golden age of funk has been a time-honored tradition from Digital Underground onward. I also liked that Bootsy kept the subject matter of the album consistent with the spirit of the P - songs like “Mirrors Tell Lies” and “Freedumb” preach messages of love, acceptance, positivity, and being true to yourself.

Halfway into the record, I had to pause it, get on the one, and dig out my Horny Horns, JBs, James Brown, Meters, Skull Snaps, and all my other funky LPs I hadn’t spun in years. I confess- Bootsy’s hit me with the bop gun and I’ve got to have some more. I’ll be revisiting them in the days ahead.

The all-star line-up of collaborators just keeps growing as the record plays on, with even Buckhead joining the party on “Minds Under Construction”. I had to dig up the full album credits just to keep track of them all. And Bootsy touches a wide array of musical stylings here, from funk to soul, from Latin to jazz, (and to whatever the hell Buckethead is).

There aren’t really any monstrously stand-out, grab-you-by-the-face tracks here, no airplay A-sides or earworm hooks, but that’s alright with me. This album is more of a celebration - getting musicians together to pay tribute to the funk and just to have a bit of fun. And to that end, the album succeeds splendidly.

Thanks, DJ Chameleon!

6.5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote