View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Gotta love this climate change skeptic (easy there, actual skeptics, not denialists) resource
Global Warming and Climate Change Myths
^ Yes, this site has an impressive quantity of facts and figures, and from what I saw does a good job of debunking the arguments raised by denialists. It does too good a job, really - I came away depressed after 10 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
I live in the 9th largest city in the US. We had a system implemented that encouraged you to bring your own shopping bag along when you bought groceries. You could get a plastic bag if you needed one, but it cost you 5 cents. It didn't last long because all it took was some raging right-wing asshole who thought that the "gubment just has to get into everythang..." along with a bag manufacturer to sue the city. We also had our not just physically crippled governor cry that it was the end of "our free-market model" and that we were being "California-ized" (as if that were a bad thing). During that short five months, we raised a half-million dollars for environmental groups. Not anymore. Cocksuckers.
^ That's a shame. One step forward, then immediately back again! In the UK I think that the money collected in bag charges also goes to environmental causes, precisely to difuse allegations that it's all a government scam. How frustrating that the logic of that detail didn't win over your fellow citizens - plus of course the common sense of having a cleaner city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
A few technical concerns that bother me about a wider rollout of green technology. Battery storage for rooftop solar would be a problem at end of life disposal. Not sure where they're at as far as recyclability but it's something that needs addressing before we wind up with toxic stockpiles.
^ Good point. Never thought of that, so I don't have an answer to hand I'm afraid.
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote