Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #5324 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post

Have you gone through something yourself? I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious. The way you talk about it, it seems you have a personal experience different than what was depicted on the show so it didn't click with you.

I don't think they were trying to show a general depiction of this issue, just a fictionalized account of one person. The broader themes apply to everyone, though. There's a reason the show has hit a nerve with people.
I've gone through plenty to have a completely different perspective of what is shown on the show. To me, these types of shows can go one of two ways. 1: it really show the deep insecurities of certain people that leads them to such things. the way their brain works and how they feel physically within themselves. and 2: it does a horrible job at understanding the themes within the themes, as opposed to just putting a blanket term on it, as this show seems to do. You can't just suddenly focus on suicide and consider it a tv show about suicide. That's not how it works.

I'm not going to sit here and try to outline every single thing that has happened in my life, because frankly I don't have the patience to get into it. I've talked a lot about it in my personal journal. But yes, things have happened to me that have had an ever lasting different perspective on the world.

When a show is trying to depict depression, suicide, and the like, the last thing you want to do is market it to people that have no idea what those terms even mean. You can lay anything you want on it. A sappy soundtrack, a good cast, and even good directing, but there's so many ways it can be done wrong, and 13 Reasons Why did it completely wrong.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote