Music Banter - View Single Post - 1983-2000 Vs 2000-2017
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
No offense taken. Nostalgia is obviously an important part of this discussion. Perhaps we're presently in a state of perpetual nostalgia. Or older developments seem more revolutionary to me because I was younger. What if we took another 17 year chunk 66-83? To me the first two 17 year chunks both saw more development. Maybe the obsession with newness and novelty became dull. Or maybe my hypothesis (stolen from Mark Fisher, btw) won't stand up to scrutiny.
Well if went by my favorite from a personal taste I would pick '66 to around about '83. I don't know why it's broken into seventeen years, but if I tried to be unbiased as possible I would still pick '66 to '82. During that era there was (what is called) "Freak Beat," Psychedelic Rock, Soul, Acid Rock, Acid Folk, Folk Rock, Progressive Folk, Progressive Rock, Blues Rock, Uk Glam Rock, Soft Rock, experimental music/experimental Rock, Dawg music, electronic music, Southern Rock, (early forms of Metal), Art Rock, Punk Rock, Disco, Post-Punk, New Wave, Funk, Jazz-Fusion, NWOBHM, minimal synth, Reggae/Dub, and a few others. I am also a fan of music from 2000-2017, and I notice that a lot of bands take inspiration from music '66 to '83. Even hip hop samples their break beats from the drum breaks on late 60s R&B records.

Even during those years the method of recording changed as well. That time period saw the end of mono tape recording, to the birth of digital recording. George Martin said that Sgt. Pepper was one of the last albums recorded on (what he called) a three track at EMI. The first CD released was in Japan was 52nd Street by Billy Joel in 1982.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote