Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #360 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Is this something you've seen a lot of, or you know people who do this? I have a hard time imagining people spending money on orchestra tickets and sitting still for two hours just to be associated with the wealthier folks in the audience. I worked as an usher for a while for the orchestra in my city, which is quite accessible to people of all class backgrounds, but I've never observed anyone coming to a concert just for that reason. And if they did, I'm sure they got more out of it than a chance to be in the presence of the 1%. I'm just curious as to where you've seen people doing that, or how you'd identify it if they were.
It's a pretty common place for people to go dress up, be nice, and feel classy for a night. I've had workmates (I work in the mortgage industry in San Diego, so yuppies are abound) say they were going to to the orchestra and when I follow up with classical music discussion (which composer? what kind do you like?), they usually say something along the lines of "oh I just go because it's nice." These people are typically desperate slaves to social custom and would break their fingers if it was the socially correct/propelling thing to do.

I actually think it's becoming less common the more we move away from classical music being exclusively for kings and royal elite, but it's still present.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote