Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #742 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Yes, that's a good name, Lilja, and a nice track too; light and "wordy" - I'll have to play it again to catch all those lyrics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
In Mali, folks throw parties that highlight the balafon (it's an idiophone like the xylophone) played by the local villagers.
The city folk want these parties too, but they can't afford to pay for these villagers to come into town,
so they came up with their own electro-versions by using software to cut up balafon sounds from traditional recordings
and plop them on top of modern beats and, voilĂ , you have a new genre called "balani show."

^ That's interesting! Especially the second video which shows scenes of modern Bamako. That's a name I recognise after reading about The Super Rail Band and Les Ambassadores du Motel. Another surprise was to see Amadou Bagayoko as a spokesperson for "balani show."

Here is a recent single he made with his partner, Mariam:-