Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #1186 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

When I checked on wiki to see what sort of music I was in for here, I was told Eternal Elysium are a “Japanese Doom Metal band”, so expected something, well, slower. Heavier. Darker. As it turns out, they seem more to be on the Stoner side of things: much more uptempo (for the most part), clear vocals and, well, just a lot more fun than I had expected. The inclusion of a Maiden cover was the icing on the cake.

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?
Given that I had expected Doom Metal, this was a lot more relaxed and laidback (inititally) than I had expected, then it accquired a kind of 70s heavy rock feel to it, so interested certainly.

2. What did you think of the opening track?
Took me back to the heyday of seventies hard rock. Great stuff.

3. What did you think of the next track?
Heavier, faster, but still great.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?*(see note 1)
He's not the best, imo, but not the worst. It's more about the music. Speaking of which...

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?*(see note 2)
Very much so

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
Better

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
They seemed mostly goodtime rock'n'roll stuff, nothing too deep or heavy, though I didn't look into them much really

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?*(see note 3)
Oh yeah. Fantastic.

9. What did you think of the production?
The usual

10. Did you know of this artiste prior to listening to the album, and if so, did that foreknowledge colour your perception of this album?
No I did not know who they were at all. Didn't even know they were any kind of metal.

11. Is this, generally, the kind of music you listen to or not?
I don't listen to too much Stoner, but the more i hear the more I like.

12. Assuming you listened to the album more than once, on repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
Very much more

13. What would you class as your favourite track(s), if you have any?
“Stone wedge”, “Splendid, selfish woman”, “Innocent exile” (they do a great version of the Maiden song here) , “What a difference a day makes”, "Faithful '99"

14. And the one(s) you liked least?
The closer, as it's basically ten-minutes-plus of sound effects and noises, and I don't need ten-minutes plus of sound effects and noises.

15. If the album in question is a debut, did that fact allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?*(see note 4)
n/a

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing more from this artiste, if you have not heard any of their other material?
Very much so, yes

17. Were you surprised by your reaction - positive or negative - to the album?
Yes

18. Did the album end well?
No. See question 14. It was a real let-down and a damp squib ending, don't know why they chose to do this.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
A better closer would have been good

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
I found it hung together very well.

Happy to give this 9/10