Music Banter - View Single Post - Memories
Thread: Memories
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #62 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

I remember when I befriended a new neighbor a long time ago when I was going for a walk at night; he was standing outside at his house party and we wound up talking about UFOs and music. He said he'd give me some chili to take home with me in exchange for a mix cd (this was in the olden days) and after I did the next day, he never spoke to me again and avoided eye contact. I actually thought my song choices for the mix cd were pretty tame and agreeable, too. He had asked for something ''chill'' and I suppose the shrill warbling of Meredith Monk and Yma Sumac wasn't exactly relaxing for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I remember at a party towards the end of high school, a brother of a good friend of mine excitedly asked me if I knew about Mumford and Sons. I was trying to figure how to put my thoughts on their garbage juice runoff gutter muck music delicately when this cute girl in the group chimed in that she loved them and I said they were good and I've never felt so dirty.

That's been weighing on me for a while.
Does anyone often experience the reverse of this? Once I was at a small party and I mentioned liking Judy Collins to the older theater nerd I was talking to, and one of the guys lurking nearby (your garden-variety dudebro) immediately said--yelled, practically-- "Oh I love her, she's really cool" as his two friends nodded vigorously in agreement and I thought, hmmm, "cool" is not exactly the right word for Judy Collins, so I played her on my phone for a minute to make sure we were thinking about the right Judy and he was visibly grimacing while still saying "Yeah yeah I really like that song of hers!" I don't really care though; I feel like it's kind of obnoxious to be all "OH SO YOU LIKE SO AND SO, HUH??? Well then what's the bassist's deceased dog's name????" and so on. But it's always funny when, like, a country western dudebro pretends to like neubauten or throbbing gristle or something.