Music Banter - View Single Post - Definition of classic rock?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well, I would argue those tenets apply to any progressive rock, even prog metal at times. However I do agree with you; it's definitely not progressive, not in the way your experimental/drone/noise/whatever stuff is. But until we come up with a new word (please, no wank rock!) we're stuck with it, and I prefer it because I know when I see the tag that there's a good chance I'll like it. Something that does annoy me is Progressive Trance, I think it is? I see it around a lot. What the hell is that?
Symphonic jazz rock?

Quote:
As for the genre being about progression, well that was easy in the seventies, when all this stuff was new. Now there's not so much different that can be attempted, and if you go too far off the path you wander into experimental territory, which I guess wasn't really a thing in the seventies, at least not as it is now. So again, we're stuck. I would certainly agree that bands I listen to have done nothing to advance the cause of music, ie progress it forward, but that doesn't stop me liking them. The only one I'd give a pass to in that regard would be Marillion, who, along with Radiohead, were one of the first to go for the "pay what you like" business model, and also one of the first to get fans to pre-pay for (essentially I guess finance) their next albums. So that's pretty progressive. Musically, without a question, not in the least, not even close.
Of course there are different ways to progress, it always just seems like everything has been done because innovation wouldn't be innovative if it was already in the picture. Plus, a lot of prog bands in the 70s like King Crimson were pretty experimental. There are a lot of experimental rock bands that I would call progressive rock, like Perhaps or Massacre. Most self proclaimed progressive rock bands don't really reflect what I'd like the genre to be, so I think they should be xalled something else.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote