Music Banter - View Single Post - Memories
Thread: Memories
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #68 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I was going to post some innocuous memory of mine, but then I read this - the saddest, most shocking post I've seen on MB for years:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
I remember the sound of my mother's keys jingling. It triggered terror in me, because I knew that meant she was about to walk out the door and go to work. She worked third shift at the hospital. The door would open and close...and I'd wait in my bed in silence. And then, inevitably, my step-father screamed my name. I'd jump from bed and run downstairs, because going slowly got me a severe beating. He'd take my down in the basement and make me suck his cock. I was 10.

I'll never forget the sound of my mother's car keys jingling.
I am so sorry for ten-year-old Mord, and for Chiomara and Trollheart too, who have also been far too close to something that is just unforgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Marks and Spencer?
Yep, that's how I read M & S too.

And a personal memory anyway:
If you squint at a lightbulb when your eyes are full of tears, it becomes a dazzling star or a shining cross. I remember suddenly noticing this effect as a baby, then looking round at a familiar room as if for the first time. Off camera, my dad is saying, "Well, he's stopped crying!" but I have no memory of crying, in fact no memory of myself at all. I felt as if I had woken up for the very first time in my life; a brief isolated burst of consciousness before returning to the irretrievable unawareness of babyhood again. It's my earliest memory; a little blip of the brain when I was maybe two years old or something, and that's why it's still important to me. (Though not to other people, of course, so apologies for the self-indulgence.)