Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who thinks country's best era was 1948-1956?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rick360
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
This song is such a conundrum. On one hand Rick 360 should like this song cause falls in his 1948-56 era, but on the other-hand he really shouldn't cause it has Grady Martin. He was part of the Nashville A Team, the top-notch session musicians who, along with Chet Atkins, were culpable for destroying Country music.

Diesel Smoke, Dangerous Curves - Burl Ives
I have no idea where you think you're going with this.

Please quote a passage from any of my posts in which I said I like EVERYTHING from the 1948-1956 era. Then, when you've failed at that, quote a passage from one of my posts where I said I hate EVERYTHING from any era that followed. And finally, quote a passage from my posts in which I expressed any animus toward Nashville session musicians (other than the Anita Kerr SINGERS) of any era.

In fact, I revere Grady Martin for his lead guitar work on the Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio sessions, which constitute the finest rockabilly ever produced by anyone, anywhere. Not to mention his work on "El Paso" and so many others.

My criticism was of Chet Atkins's production choices and the way his productions *sounded* as opposed to how country music sounded before he made the effort to turn country music into something more "sophisticated."

You'll have to explain to me how posting a song that:

1) did nothing on the country charts

2) was put out on a label other than RCA

3) was produced by someone other than Chet Atkins

4) is not an example of an attempt to "sophisticate" country music

somehow negates my point of view.
Rick360 is offline   Reply With Quote