Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #9454 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to write about this game, but I really can't. It's a harrowing look at mental illness, loss, grief, and love, while still being about a young woman traveling through the viking underworld to try and free the soul of her dead lover. A LOT of work has gone into trying to create a respectful and accurate depiction of psychosis, as your character, Senua, is constantly assailed by voices and changes in perception in the environment around her. Saying much more would give too much away, and really, it's hard to describe. It's a little bit walking simulator, action/adventure, and puzzle game. Combat is fairly basic, but functional, and the lack of HUD really keeps you immersed in the game's narrative. My only real criticism is the cutscenes can draw on a little too long and be a little too frequent, and the puzzles fall into that annoying niche where they're not hard enough to stump you on what to do, but just how to do it.

If you have a PC or a PS4 and you are looking for something new to play that will stay with you, I would highly recommend this game. That being said, there is a mechanic in the game wherein if you die too many times, this infection will set in and fully kill your character and delete your save, forcing you to start over from the beginning, so if you suck at games, I'd recommend playing the game on easy.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote