Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #6553 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
It was split between people thinking she had it in the bag and not coming out to vote, people that didn't like her and was still on Bernie's dick and these apathetic holier than thou people that makes up the rest. Bat, Frown and a few others fit into that last one.
Yes, I think a lot of Democratic voters were too complaisant, and in the run up to the election, as far as I remember, several MB posters seemed to take the attitude that all politicians suck, so why bother.

Actually, there are plenty of reasons to bother, the main one being pointed out by the guy who said, "The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a few good men to do nothing."

And getting back to the news of the day, I see that Trump has pardoned Joe Arpeio. This is a very sinister development because of the message the President is sending; "You can abuse the power of your office and break the law, but if you're on my side I'll give you impunity." I'm sure that point will not be lost on plenty of other bullying racist officials.

Impunity like that for over-zealous officials is one of the reasons that Mexico is unable to shake off the corruption that runs through its politics, and Trump has just taken the US one step closer to a repressive sham third-world democracy. I hope the US doesn't go any furthur down that road, because once blatant top-down corruption is in the system, rather like pee in a swimming pool, it's difficult to take it out again.

Perhaps some non-voters will learn a lesson in time for the next election; that even if all politicians are corrupt, some will damage your society, government and the environment much more than others - and by voting you can block the most toxic candidates.