Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #891 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You don't see how boiling a group of people down to their economic benefits is dehumanizing? Would you support overturning DACA if this particular segment wasn't fiscally positive? Look up infer.

Keep DACA in place because they're goddamn people who lived their whole lives here. That's all the reasoning you need.
In my skimming of these threads, I generally think Chula brings a lot of 'pile on' on himself, but these last few pages is just silliness from Frownland and TheBatlord.

The mainstream argument advanced against DACA recipients is that they are a drain on the economy and that they take jobs that otherwise would have gone to true, blue American citizens. It makes sense to respond to that argument with economic rebuttals. Posing a hypothetical that wishes away the primary reasons for conservatives resistance to DACA is asking to hear the echo chamber answer that many of us here agree with "they're as American as you or I and it's insanity to send a kid who's spent 75% of his 16 years in the suburbs of Cleveland back to El Salvador".

So,
Chula: deporting DACA recipients is a foolish economic move

Frown/Bat: would you still think it's bad if economics played no part/it was a wise economic move?

Chula: that is both immaterial and non-demonstrable, so why should I have opinion on a set of facts that no one can show exists?

Frown/Bat: you have no conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater
Trump made an interesting "left-turn" last week (no pun intended) in regards to working with Chuck Schumer and Pelosi on raising the debt ceiling, helping the hurricane victims and pushing for some kind of DACA Act. Anyone got thoughts on these developments?
I'm 99% sure Trump doesn't know what the debt ceiling is (or most Congressmen for that matter - it doesn't mean we borrow more, it means we can pay for services already rendered, the money has been spent, you can't stop it on the back end without suffering real credit problems). Also, he's repeatedly said raising the debt ceiling is non-negotiable, so... not the best political operator. If you somehow needed more proof. Regardless, I'm not one to look a gift horse - thanks Don! Keep cutting deals with the, on balance, more sane party in Congress.