Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism (Yeah, that's right: I'm callin' it!)
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #403 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
What a bizarre premise. I'm not even trying to be snide, it just literally doesn't seem sensible to me.
How so? What I'm getting at is the personal beliefs of any one individual are rather meaningless in the scheme of things. Who cares if the guy on the corner thinks all Asians are sneaky or all white people love Trump - his beliefs don't have any effect on others. He can't enact policy, pass laws, deny rights, etc. Now if those views are held by the dominant group that also controls political and social levers of control...

That's what I was driving at. I don't care about the white-genocide advocating, radical black preacher. Racist? I guess yes, as the word is used colloquially. Can he use the system to oppress me? No.

I've spent time thinking about this because every time the alt-right/associated groups would be accused of race-baiting or racist statements they'd point to fringe black movements or hardcore, misandrists feminists groups as in "see they do it too". I started working on a, 'it doesn't matter, you're the ones that actually hold power and influence so if you want to be the leaders and adults you keep saying you are, ****ing act like it' response. Results have been.... mixed. Racial politics are NOT my forte haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
Then make that clear when you have those discussions on a larger level. Win win. This goes back to what I've said on this subject before: it's a valid concept for academia as it would remove a lot of qualifying that would clutter up a paper, but that doesn't mean that it's a firm rule to redifine the word by.
I'm not necessarily trying to redefine the word as it's commonly used, just trying to show that racism is not uniquely black/white or a Western phenomenon, but happens almost everywhere when a dominant group controls the means of governance; and the importance of the "governance" aspect to expression of racism, which is often overlooked. I know the dictionaries say it's a "belief" but the "ism" suffix is what gets me. Almost all "isms" have some form of an ideological skeleton, around which movements are built (Judaism, Communism, Nazism, Dominionism, etc.).

None of this means this still isn't one of my all-time favorite gifs: